Do you know what “Maskne” is ?
Maskne or mask-related acne, is not an unknown entity. It is quiet common in professionals who have to wear mask for prolonged periods. Now due to COVID, with a wider population wearing masks, Maskne is becoming more prevalent.
Maskne usually occurs around mouth, nose, chin and jawline.
When we breathe under the mask, it creates a warm and humid environment underneath them. This becomes a breeding ground for bacteria & yeast. Sweat, oil, and makeup becomes trapped under the mask and clog pores. All of this leads to fine pimples and pustules around the nose and mouth.
But this should not stop us from wearing a mask. Mask is one of our primary defence against the COVID virus. So how can we prevent maskne and look after our skin. Let me tell you how.
- Cleanse your Skin twice a day: If you have oily skin, use benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid/ activated charcoal based cleanser. You can try DRSQ Clarifying cleanser with activated charcoal complex.
For, dry & inflamed skin, use a gentle, hydrating cleanser to avoid breaking down of skin barrier. You can try DRSQ Cleanse & Hydrate with Vitamin E, B5, Aloe and Rosehip oil.
- Moisturise at least twice a day: Moisturise regularly to keep the skin well hydrated. Get a moisturiser with anti-inflammatory ingredient such as Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) and anti-oxidants. For even better results, apply a Niacinamide serum under the moisturiser. You can try DRSQ Radiance 3D with 10% Niacinamide.
- Sunscreen: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen but use lightweight, zinc or titanium oxide based mineral sunscreen.
- Go Light on Make-up: Heavy make-up clog’s the pores even more and triggers breakouts under the mask. Do light, mineral based make-up under the mask. Enhance your look by focussing on your eye make-up.
- Wash your mask: If it’s a disposable mask, change it atleast everday, more frequently if you are working in a hot and humid environment.
With a reusable mask, you must wash it everyday. Ideally wash it in a hot cycle in washing machine with a gentle, fragrance free washing liquid. Dry it out in direct cycle or in hot cycle in the dryer.
- Get the right mask: Find the mask which fits right on your face, neither too loose nor too tight. A nice, snug fit ( not too tight) stops the mask from moving too much on your face and causing irritation due to frequent rubbing. Silk masks have a cooling effect on the face but they are not as effective as a COVID barrier. You can find a multi-layer mask with silk on the inside and cotton layers on the outside.
- Gentle exfoliation: Gentle exfoliation ensure a deep cleansing of the pores and removal of dead skin and any accumulated yeast/ bacteria in top layers of skin. Try gentle leave in exfoliants such as DRSQ Renew & Glow or DRSQ Repair exfoliating serum.
Maskne is a real world problem but can be managed by few daily routines. It should not stop us from wearing a mask, because by wearing your mask you are protecting yourselves and other against COVID.